A. Lilia Smith: CV
A. Lilia Smith is a clinical psychologist and artist residing in Miami, Florida. She was born in Cuba and has lived in the United States since 1967. California was her home for more than thirty years.
Smith is a fine art photographer with a long-standing history of involvement with the arts. Beginning in the late 1970’s and through the 1980’s, she practiced photography, painting, dance, and writing. During those years she dedicated herself to study art, anthropology, philosophy, and the psychology of creativity.
Her artistic pursuits led her back into the discipline of psychology, which had been her career intention from the start. She took a detour away from making art in order to procure a doctorate degree in the field. For more than twenty years, her clinical work has nourished and sustained her creative impulse, for she views creativity as an inherited component in all human aims. Her strong desire to create works of art was never quenched and the passage of time impressed upon her the urgency to once again engage in this process. It is through the medium of photographic-image-making that she hopes for a dialogue with her audience.
- Where Memories Reside, ArtMedia Gallery, Miami, Florida.
Group Exhibitions 2017
- Where Memories Reside, Art Palm Beach, with ArtMedia Gallery.
- Where Memories Reside, Art Boca Raton, with ArtMedia Gallery.
Publications & Press
- Shadow & Light Magazine, Vol. 4/ Issue 04, May/June 2018, ISSN:2471-7681. Portfolio Showcase: Where Memories Reside.
- ArtDistrict Magazine, Miami, Florida. Risa Clavijo: an interview with the artist. Where Memories Reside.
- Culture Trip Digital Magazine, Spring Art Shows, Wynwood Art District Miami, Florida. Lisa Morales: an art review. Where Memories Reside.
- Letra Urbana Revista, Miami, Florida, Monica Prandi: a conversation with the artist. Where Memories Reside.
Edcation & Special Trainig
- Brooks Jensen, “LensWorks Visual Workshops.” A workshop on developing specialized skills in digital media and printed format presentations, conducted in Miami, Florida.
- Keith Carter, “A Certain Alchemy.” A photography workshop on the creative process, at Maine Media Workshops + College, in Rockport, Maine.
- Mary Ellen Mark, “The World Observed.” A photography workshop at the Center for Photography at Woodstock, Woodstock, New York.
- Bernardo Olmos, a workshop on composition at the Digital Photography Academy in Miami, Florida.
- Alex & Rebecca Webb, “A Master Class:” understanding your own way of seeing, editing and taking the next step. Presented by the Miami Street Photography Festival, in Miami, Florida.
- Robin Hill, a workshop on composition at the Digital Photography Academy in Miami, Florida.
- Michael Thoennes, advanced digital photography class at the Digital Photography Academy in Miami, Florida.
2008 - 2013
- Completed 50 plus photography courses through Lynda.com digital school.
- Doctoral Degree in Clinical Psychology from the California School of Professional Psychology.
- Mater Degree in Clinical Psychology from the California School of Professional Psychology.
- Bachelor Degree in Clinical Psychology from San Francisco State University.